Top Snow Stores See all Stores >
Camping & Hiking
Top Camping & Hiking Stores See all Stores >
Top Climbing Stores See all Stores >
Top Water Sports Stores See all Stores >
- Blogs Costa Rica Unconfined: Downward Dogs And Duck Dives
- Gear Reviews Costa Rica Unconfined: 3 Travel Essentials For Costa Rica, From Beach Breaks To Cloud Forests
- Blogs Costa Rica Unconfined: Drinking With Taxi Drivers By Night, Surfing Empty Breaks By Day
- Videos Jordy Smith's Jaw-Dropping Perfect 10 Wave In South Africa
Top Bike Stores See all Stores >
Top Clothing Stores See all Stores >
Top Travel Stores See all Stores >
About Active Junky
ActiveJunky.com is an online shopping community that rewards and incentivizes users for their passion for gear and the outdoors. We have partnered with the top online outdoor gear stores (100+) so that you can earn cash back rewards on every gear purchase you make by simply clicking through ActiveJunky.com to the online store of your choice before making your purchases. You can also browse, search and compare prices and reviews on all of the best outdoor gear products available right here!
What's the catch?
No catch! It's pretty simple actually.
We get a commission from the stores when you make a purchase and we decided to share that commission with YOU! This way, you save money and we keep our jobs. It's a win, win. Joining ActiveJunky.com is free - you will never pay us anything. We will send you a check or transfer the money right into your PayPal account.
If you're waiting on your next paycheck, check out "The Fix" to read our original gear reviews, blogs, and watch our videos for junkies by junkies.
Active Junky - noun
1. Someone who is relentlessly drawn to the culture and lifestyle of all things adventure.
2. A person devoted to living an active lifestyle.
Do what you love and live your life on the edge. That’s the Active Junky motto. For the team of 5 that make up ActiveJunky.com, their lives are dedicated to two things; adrenaline and gear. When they’re not in the office, you can find them skiing big mountain lines, surfing barrels on the coast, or hiking the closest 14er. For Kevin, Danny, Tommy, Brad, and Jon, ActiveJunky.com is more than a company, it’s a mission. A mission to provide more amazing days in the outdoors for Active Junky members. The most memorable days are when the gear disappears as head-to-toe comfort, safety and performance flow into epic experiences. Active Junky provides information, insight and gear at diverse price points and cash back to make more – and better – days possible for members across all seasons and the most popular outdoor pursuits.
Active Junky – Feed Your Addiction.
Founder & CEOUniversity
Kevin founded Active Junky in 2010 after seeing a huge opportunity in the outdoor sports market to help consumers save money at their favorite gear shops. Kevin has guided the company from concept to partnerships with hundreds of major brands and merchants with loyal users across the globe. Previously, Kevin founded a digital marketing company focusing on search and affiliate marketing after working as a financial analyst for Lowe Enterprises in Los Angeles. Kevin graduated cum laude with a BA in Finance and Economics from Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver. Kevin is an avid skier and enjoys taking trips back to his hometown to spend time on Lake Michigan.
Co-Founder & COOUniversity of
Danny joined Kevin to co-found Active Junky in 2010. With previous experience from his first company, CampInTouch.com, a social communication solution for Summer Camps, Danny combines a keen entrepreneurial sense with passion for technology, design, media and the outdoors. Danny helps to drive the vision and strategy for Active Junky while focusing on daily operations including sales and business development, product development, media and brand partnerships. Originally from Philadelphia, Danny completed a Bachelor of Business Administration with an emphasis in Finance from The Leeds School of Business, at The University of Colorado at Boulder. When not in the office, Danny spends his time in the backcountry with skis and a camera in search of big lines and deep snow.
Tommy started as an intern at Active Junky and joined the company full time upon graduation from University of Denver, where he earned a BA in Economics and Marketing. He specializes in media content production, social media, customer service, and graphic design. With a background in design, branding, and product development from his previous venture, the lifestyle clothing company Triage, he brings small business experience and a work ethic worthy of start-up life to Active Junky. A Colorado transplant with roots in New England, Tommy spends his free time skiing, mountain biking, flying planes, and playing golf. He's also worked in Guest Services at Copper Mountain Resort, as well as the Ski & Ride School at Keystone Resort.
Director of MarketingUniversity
After graduating summa cum laude from the University of Denver, Brad diverted from his finance background to learn the online marketing and outdoor industry. Starting at eBags.com as a marketing analyst, he quickly moved to become the Director of E-commerce marketing at Summit Sports Inc. Brad joined the Active Junky in 2013, and is focused on developing all acquisition and retention marketing strategies, as well as overseeing their implementation. He also is a TRUE Active Junky, and spends every free minute he can out biking, skiing, or camping with his Siberian Husky, Rossi.
Advertise With Us
Are you a brand that wants to reach a highly targeted consumer-focused online community?
ActiveJunky.com is building a reputation for developing custom sponsorship and advertising solutions that include web portals, original content development and integration, social networks. ActiveJunky's content and product categories target specific users whether they are searching for a product, browsing gear reviews, reading blog posts, or watching videos. ActiveJunky.com provides a complete range of products to help you connect with our targeted audience. Challenge our creative media team to develop a custom sponsorship/advertising solution.
Are you an ActiveJunky.com merchant partner that wants increased exposure to Active Junky Members?
ActiveJunky.com is ready to put together a cost-effective advertising campaign for you. Sponsorship opportunities include: increased cash back promotions, enhanced visibility of your promos and specials deals, homepage "Top Retailers" scroll bar placements, inclusion in our weekly email promotions, dedicated emails and much more.
Advertising Partners 2012:
See what our partners had to say....
"For Columbia, ActiveJunky.com was an extremely valuable partner for our efforts supporting the Omni-Heat launch. They provided great opportunities to integrate Columba into their gear reviews and editorial, giving our launch impactful credibility with our core target. Overall, the client was extremely please with their efforts."
- Andrew Matthews
Media Planner (Client: Columbia Sportswear)
Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners
"ActiveJunky.com's in-house design of the background page skin for the S12 Outdoor campaign for The North Face looked amazing and performed above average. Our team was also very pleased with the quick turnaround and excellent customer service for this campaign."
- Mari Gottlieb
Senior Media Planner (Client: The North Face)
Factory Labs Media
Active Junky is a young company and we are growing fast.
We are located in dowtown Denver and we are always looking for talented, creative people to get involved with our team. Our office is extremely collaborative; we all wear many hats.
Check out our open positions below and apply if you think you're a good fit. If you don't see a position that's in your wheelhouse, just send us your resume using the button below. We are always interested in meeting new people that could be of value to our team.
Expand the menus below to explore job descriptions and to apply directly to a position.
Active Junky, a leading online outdoor gear shopping community and media website is looking for a talented and passionate multifaceted designer. The ideal candidate has experience combining design theory with a data-driven, user-centered design process that includes consideration for new customer acquisition, sales conversion, content strategy and overall usability.
- Create user-friendly, effective, and engaging visual concepts across multiple digital channels
- Support marketing efforts with promotional and advertising design including email marketing, social, display advertising, landing page development and more
- Support sales and efforts with mockups and other sales collateral development
- Present mockups and other design deliverables to the team, educating them on the design process and rationale behind concepts
- Generate and iterate concepts that fulfill project goals and requirements, articulating the trade-offs between concepts while making recommendations based on research and the team’s point of view
- Collaborate with management, sales, engineers, project managers, and clients to define the best ways to approach and solve a design problem
- 3-5 years of digital design experience
- Proven ability to work within brand guidelines while still creating compelling visual ideas
- Strong communication and presentation skills, written and verbal
- A great attitude and a passion for digital design
- An obsession with detail
- Be well versed in standard UI practices, emerging ones, and ones you dream up in your own digital head
- Expertise in typography, layout, color, photo editing and image production
- Knowledge of HTML5, CSS3 and JS
- Bachelors in design or similar degree or demonstrated experience
- Prototyping skills for multiple devices
Please reply with a resume, design portfolio and any applicable references. Be prepared to show how you've used design techniques to support thinking, design, and collaboration on complex projects. Visual appeal is very important, but we will also be interested in how your portfolio demonstrates your ability to solve problems using design.
Role Summary: The PHP Web Developer is responsible for working as part of the Product Development team to help enhance and maintain the ActiveJunky.com website. Essential duties include enhancements, maintenance, bug fixes, and problem resolution.
This key role requires an individual with a solid understanding of Software design principles (regardless of the language), a willingness to learn and master new things, and can work with a team to build an amazing product.
Reports To: CTO
- No 3rd parties
- 3-5 years of experience
- Solid LAMP Stack experience
- Deep experience with PHP and a PHP MVC frameworks like Laravel, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, Zend Framework, etc. Zend experience strongly preferred.
- Deep understanding of creating MySQL, SQL scripts, views, stored procedure and functions
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and collaborative team.
- Writes clean code and documents as you go.
- Self starter, ability to consistently meet and exceed timelines and expectations
- Big picture problem solver (can’t lose the forest for the trees)
- Lives and breaths technology,
Nice to Have:
- Understanding of various APIs (Twitter, Facebook, Google Docs, etc.)
- Experience with Affiliate marketing networks
Compensation: Position is compensated hourly and will be determined based on experience. This position is located at ActiveJunky.com Corporate Headquarters in Denver, Colorado. ActiveJunky.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About ActiveJunky: Active Junky is an online shopping community for outdoor sports enthusiasts that provides members exclusive cash back savings at 250+ online stores like REI, Backcountry.com, Patagonia and EMS. We are building a better way to discover, research and save on the best outdoor gear and products available. We are forging a direct and valuable connection between outdoor enthusiasts and the companies that provide experience-building gear and products. We live and breathe the startup, technology and outdoor culture and lifestyle.
ActiveJunky.com is a privately held company based in Denver, Colorado.
Role Summary: We are currently seeking a Web Developer Intern currently in school or close to graduating with a major in Computer Science. Essential duties include maintenance, bug fixes and helping develop new functionality as well as provide support to current web applications.
Reports To: CTO
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Based in the Denver metro area
- No 3rd parties
- Experience with frontend development specifically using CSS3, HTML5 and being able to take a web designers assets and chop them into a template
- Open to learning new technologies
- Fast learner who can value working in a great industry
- Ability to effectively work in a highly collaborative and fast paced environment
- Self-starter approach, with ability to consistently meet and exceed objectives and take on more responsibility as time permits
Are you a great writer? Active? Sense of humor?
ActiveJunky.com is an outdoor gear shopping community with a strong focus on creating and promoting interactive media surrounding gear and the outdoor sports enthusiast's lifestyle.
We are looking for two part-time summer interns to work with our media team and assist in the creation and production of articles, gear reviews and video content for our online community.
Candidates should be strong writers/Active Junky's interested in writing several articles a week covering: Skiing, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Camping, Adventure Travel, Kayaking and Climbing. Candidates should also show knowledge of these sport focuses and the technical outdoor gear and apparel that's purchased and used.
Every week this person will be responsible for creating, and collaborating on a handful of content ideas. Your articles will get national exposure through our website, e-newsletters, and social media channels. You will also gain experience in digital media production, working with our team to organize, format and publish content to our website.
The perfect candidates must be interested in working in a start-up environment. Since we are still growing, this person has the ability to contribute to the growth of our business great resume builder!
Reports To: Media Director
About Active Junky:
Active Junky is an online shopping community for outdoor sports enthusiasts that provides members exclusive cash back savings at 250+ online stores like REI, Backcountry.com, Patagonia and EMS. We are building a better way to discover, research and save on the best outdoor gear and products available. We are forging a direct and valuable connection between outdoor enthusiasts and the companies that provide experience-building gear and products. We live and breathe the startup, technology and outdoor culture and lifestyle.
Turn amazing adventure and outdoor gear photos into online daily and featured content.
The Digital Production Coordinator will be responsible for collaborating with the editorial staff to help manage the editorial calendar and a content publishing schedule with a focus on visual assets. This individual will be working heavily in Active Junky’s custom content management system, formatting various daily and featured content types. The digital production coordinator is one of the last touch points before content is published on ActiveJunky.com and will be responsible for visual quality control across all published content. Digital publishing experience is essential as is expertise with CMS formatting, photo editing and basic design.
An energized downtown Denver location, perks including gear and a collaborative work environment make this the next serious step in your digital career. This new position starts immediately at half-time (20 hrs/week) with potential for full-time employment including benefits.
- Edit photography and visual assets using Photoshop or other editing software
- Format articles and featured content types in the Active Junky CMS to prepare content to be published
- Organize and manage a collection of visual assets
- Vimeo, YouTube and Instagram management
- Manage production on larger content programs (i.e. Seasonal Gear Guides)
- Develop layouts for new content types
- Develop and Manage weekly publishing schedules with the editorial team driven by the annual editorial calendar
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of digital publishing and production experience
- 2+ years working with content management systems
- Expertise in Photoshop and other adobe creative suite applications
- Self-starter and the ability to work independently in a small team
- Outstanding written communication and verbal presentation skills
- (Bonus): Knowledge and experience in HTML and CSS
- (Bonus): Outdoor industry knowledge is a BIG plus!
- (Bonus): Experience in photography is a plus!
Are you a writer that energizes readers -- and motivates them to take action?
Are you the photographer or videographer that finds the amazing in the everyday -- and turns the unusual into incredible?
Are you both of these?
ActiveJunky.com is an outdoor gear shopping community with a strong focus on creating and promoting interactive media surrounding gear and the outdoor sports enthusiast's lifestyle. We are looking for two part-time interns to work with our Content team and assist in the creation and production of articles, gear reviews, photo galleries and video content for our online community.
An aggressive content calendar literally spans the globe to cover Skiing, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Camping, Adventure Travel, Kayaking and Climbing. Candidates should be passionate about two or more of these outdoor pursuits and love to dive in on gear and solid advice that makes every day outside amazing.
Every week, interns create three to five published pieces. Your editorial and photo galleries will get national exposure through our website, e-newsletters, and social media channels. You will also gain experience in digital media production, working with our team to organize, format and publish content to our website.
Build your resume. Be part of the outdoor life -- and likely end up with some primo gear in the process.
Please submit your resume and portfolio
Candidates must be able attend a late afternoon/evening Creative Development Workshop on July 31st in downtown Denver.
This position reports to: Director of Content
1062 Delaware Street, Suite 9
Denver, CO 80204
Too many head injuries?
Still don't get it?
"Active Junky was a great partner. They were willing and eager to work with us in new and innovative ways. For example, they were they only website on our media plan that shot, edited and produced a pre-roll spot for us. Also, we were very impressed with their professionalism, sincerity, and desire to please. Working with Active Junky was a pleasure- they will definitely be on the media plan in the future."
- Laura Patten
Media Planner (Client: Smartwool)