Field Notes: We encourage testers to ignore price during field testing. The Klymit KSB misled testers, who grossly overestimated the cost. With an ingenious design and warm construction, it packs to a reasonable size to score high among multiple testers, though it is not the lightest bag included on the test with 650-fill down.
Pros: With a reputation for startling innovation, Klymit never ceases to surprise. Delight came when our first tester slid into the KSB and noticed the flexible baffles. Essentially enormous rubber bands to replace traditional baffle stitching, these hip bands allow you to stretch and sleep in any desired position minus the discomfort of a tight mummy bag or heat loss of a baggy one. The affordable 650-fill, while only marginally compressible, is warm and lofty in a bag only slightly over 2.5lbs.
Cons: While the stretchy baffles are a hit in the midsection of the bag, it appears the same rubber band-like baffle is duplicated as the hood’s draw string. When cinched tightly, the band is uncomfortable. Compensate for this design misstep with a warm beanie.
Favorite Feature: The stretchy baffles. A unique feature that merits applause. We’re excited to see how Klymit’s designs evolve in the future.
Tester Comment: “It kind of looks like a big trash bag when you pull it out of the stuff sack. But it couldn’t be further from trashy—this thing is a beast. The baffles blew my mind. I slept comfortably, when I wasn’t shaking my head and admiring the design. I’ll be recommending this bag to all of my friends who backpack on a budget.”
Bottom Line: The only way to find this quality at this price might be on craigslist or searching bargain bins at your local outdoor store. A great deal, we recommend KSB for first-time and budget-focused backpackers
- Flexible baffles provide freedom of movement and keep the insulation close to your body for more efficient thermal performance and exceptional comfort
- Soft, hydrophobic 20D nylon lining is silk-sheet comfortable and won't absorb moisture
- Insulated draft collar wraps around your shoulders to keep heat in during the night
- 3-dimensional half-moon footbox helps retain warmth, provides added room for greater comfort and allows the use of a mummy shaped sleeping pad inside the bag
- Thoughtful patterning expands girth at the chest for added comfort and the freedom to move throughout the night without impacting thermal performance
- Insulated and comfortable, the mummy hood wraps the head to maintain essential warmth
- Small stash pocket integrated into the draft collar is perfect for stashing a headlamp, wallet, phone or midnight snacks
- Shell fabric has a durable water repellant treatment to protect the insulation from moisture that can impede thermal performance and add weight
- Light and tough 20D ripstop nylon has a high strength-to-weight ratio to help resist tears without adding unnecessary ounces
- Burly, but not bulky full-length zipper has 2-way sliders so it can be unzipped from top or bottom for ventilation; full length zipper guard helps seal out drafts
- Stuff sack and storage sack are included
Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz.
Materials: [Shell] Ripstop Nylon, [insularion] 650-fill duck down