The Magellan Cyclo 505 HC offers a solid set of navigation features, including preloaded maps, turn-by-turn navigation, and detailed mapping. The “HC” in this Magellan model includes heart rate and cadence senor built in. It is also the only bike GPS we reviewed that offers automatic route finding. ANT+ and Bluetooth compatible allows you to sync with your smartphone for addition metric tracking, music playback and notifications.
Pros: A unique feature of the Magellan Cyclo 505 is automatic route finding, “Surprise Me”: you determine the distance or time you want to ride, and this bike computer offers a few suggested routes to meet those specifications. Its backtrack function allows you to retrace the path you came from in case you get a little lost. It is also the only bike GPS in our reviews that offers built-in heart rate and cadence tracking—all other are sensor compatible, but this Magellan GPS does it all.
Cons: Tied for the most expensive bike GPS we reviewed, some may decide the extra “HC” features aren’t worth the price tag. This cycle computer is also the largest of the GPS models we reviewed, at 4.6oz and with a 3in screen. The 12-hour battery life is also on the low side of the spectrum.
Bottom Line: The Magellan Cyclo 505 HC is powerful enough for professional and amateur cyclists alike and offers built-in biometric tracking, though its relatively weak battery capacity, larger size and price point may turn off some bikers.
Best For: Wandering cyclists who would benefit from auto route finding while riding in unfamiliar areas
Key Attribute: Tracking
- Complete USA road network and OSM crowd source trail data showing cycling POIs like bicycle shops
- Surprise Me™ suggests up to 3 different routes after entering distance or time criteria
- Bluetooth® Smart connectivity for smartphones and sensors including over 180 ANT+ speed, cadence, heart rate and power accessories
- Compatible with Shimano Di2 electronic road bicycle shifting systems with Di2 Wireless Unit featuring D-Fly
- Shake-N-Share keeps everyone together by sharing a route
- Out-front mount, heart rate monitor and speed/cadence sensor
- Weight: 4.6 oz
- Display: 3.0"
- Dimensions: 2.4" x 4.06" x .74"