Field Notes: A favorite car camping tent, this Mountainsmith tent was the easiest tent to set up—even in roaring winds.
Pros: There’s nothing crazy about this tent, and that’s why we dug it. Simple, affordable and intuitive, the Genesee represents all we love about Mountainsmith. While not as tall as some, this classic design has steep sidewalls to offer plenty of space with a family of four tucked inside. Plus, it was among the the most packable tents which, even when car camping, is a blessing.
Cons: The Genesee’s vestibule isn’t as big as those of other tents tested such as the Coleman Darkroom. This added difficulty when entering and exiting the tent.
Favorite Feature: Simple and solid construction got our testing team stoked, as no one wants to spend their time in the woods rereading instruction manuals. This Mountainsmith was easily pitched in a few minutes and staked with the fly out in under five.
Tester Quote: “A no fuss tent. Great pick if you’re looking for an affordable car camping tent. There’s not too much to say here, and in this case, that’s a good thing.”
Bottom Line: A top tent that offers value for car camping couples who like their space in addition to small families
- PU coating on the floor and fly and fully taped seams keep the rain at bay
- Breathable mesh doors, walls, and fly vents fight condensation through the muggy morning hours and keep out bugs when used without a fly
- The 7000-series aluminum alloy Yunnan Poles stand up to abuse without weighing down your pack
- Simplified design features clear instructions on the stuff sack, and color-coded clips on the tent and poles ensure easy assembly
- Dual vestibules allow you and your partner your own space for boots and packs
- Reflective guy lines stabilize the tent in wind and remain visible during nighttime trips to the bush
- Detachable ceiling loft helps dry wet layers and can be removed to take advantage of the 52-inch-high headroom
- Mesh storage pockets keeps your headlamp handy
- Interior Height: 52.0 in
- Floor Dimensions: 84.0 x 96.0 in
- Floor Space: 56.0 sq ft
- Packed Size: 19.5 x 8.0 in
- Packed Weight: 6 lb 14.5 oz
- Trail Weight: 6 lb 9.0 oz
Materials: [fly] 185T polyester, PU coating (2000mm), [body] 185T polyester, [floor] 190T polyester, PU coating (5000mm)