MSR’s Pocket Rocket is damn near famous amongst backpackers, as the compact canister stove has been a go-to amongst the fast-and-light crowd for years. However, one of the main complaints about the Pocket Rocket is that it required a lighter or matches. That all changed with the introduction of the Pocket Rocket Deluxe.
The Pocket Rocket Deluxe sports a built-in Piezo spark igniter, which means that it’s no big deal if the matches or lighter don’t make it in your pack (granted, we always like to have a backup plan, just in case). Sometimes igniters are prone to failure, but after weeks of heavy use and ruthless treatment, the Piezo igniter on our Pocket Rocket Deluxe tester is still in working condition. Our testers loved this addition, and determined that they’d never want to go back to the older generation of the stove. Once lit, the Pocket Rocket Deluxe offers excellent simmer control for a lightweight canister stove, and still boils one liter of water in three minutes and twenty seconds.
The Deluxe is available solo, or in a stove kit, which includes the following: hard-anondized aluminum pot with insulated grip, 28 oz bowl, strainer lid, pot handle, and a stuff sack for both the stove itself and the entire kit. Having tested the kit, we recommend going that route, but it’s not necessary if you already have a lightweight pot for backpacking. However, the added extras, namely the strainer lid and nesting bowl, are nifty and appreciated on long treks.
The three arms of the stove are fairly stable, although it’s not as stable as integrated models like MSR’s tester-favorite Windburner. Also, compared to integrated canister stoves, it isn’t as effective in high winds, and it’s definitely not going to be a top pick for winter use.
MSR has improved upon a tried-and-true backpacker favorite with the Pocket Rocket Deluxe, thanks to the integrated Piezo igniter. As such, it’s become the favorite lightweight backpacking stove of our test team, and it’s our top recommendation to you if you’re on the hunt for a compact canister stove.
- Premium kit: Pressure-regulated, push-start pocketrocket deluxe stove + our ultralight trail mini duo cook set
- Light and compact: Nested design slips easily into small packs and weighs just 371 g (131 oz)
- Fast-boiling: Boils 1 liter in 3:20 minutes, maintaining fast boil times even in cold weather and with low fuel
- Integrated piezo igniter: Fast, easy, reliable ignition
- PocketRocket deluxe stove with stuff sack
- 12 Liters hard-anodized aluminum pot with insulated grip bowl, strainer lid, ultralight pot handle kit stuff sack room to nest 4 or 8 oz IsoPro fuel